Monday, March 9, 2009

Ten Essential Uplifting Punk Songs for these Hard Times!

Times are tough. Here is a batch of punk songs that will make it easier. In no apparent order, here are some of my favorites:

Rise Above - Black Flag
The be all end all of great punk tunes! "Try to stop us, it's no use!!!" Henry Rollins screaming into the mic, and he means business...

I'm Not Down - The Clash
A very personal and thoughtful account of personal trials and mustering up the strength and courage to overcome them.
"I've been beat up, I've been thrown Out
But I'm not down, Oh I'm not down
I've been shown up, but I've grown up
And I'm not down, Oh I'm not down"

Somewhere Over the Rainbow - Me First and the Gimme Gimmes
If this classic song done up SoCal punk style doesn't bring a smile to your face, then, as Louis Jordan would say, "Jack, you dead!"

I'm OK You're OK - MXPX
In a comforting way, MXPX is like your old pal, reminding you of better times, and that things are gonna be alright...

Do or Die - Dropkick Murphys
Leave it to the Murphs to give you the wakeup call against complacency. Don't let the bastards get you down!
"Your dreams are in danger, and We Must Rise
Our time has come we are under the gun It's Do or Die"

Living - The Circle Jerks
"Everyday is such a test, When this world's such a mess
But I'll try hard- I'll do my best, Won't get bogged down- like all the rest
Got no hamsters in my head- No monkeys on my back
No chains and shackles- to hold me down I wanna fly- I wanna fly"
That was my theme song back in the early 90's. I better find that cd and give it a spin!

New Day Rising - Husker Du
The whole lyric is like, Bob Mould shouting and screaming over and over "New Day Rising", but for some reason I get comfort from this...

Somewhere - Husker Du
Once again, in bittersweet verse, Bob Mould promises us that:
"Somewhere the dirt is washed down with the rain
Somewhere there's happiness instead of pain
Somewhere satisfaction has no name Somewhere I can
be the same". Hopeful lyrics.

I Believe in Miracles - The Ramones
I used to be on an endless run. Believe in miracles cause Im one.
A have been blessed with the power to survive. After all these years Im still alive.
I believe in miracles.
I believe in a better world for me and you.
I have been blessed with the power to survive.
After all these years Im still alive.
The futures here today. Its not too late.
Its not too late, yeah! I believe in miracles.
I believe in a better world for me and you.
Oh, I believe in miracles. I believe in a better world for me and you
Very deep stuff in a Ramones sort of way.

Rise Up - Pennywise
"Well it's up to you what you really want to do - take time - to find a way
Focus on your vision you're on a secret mission
Ignore what the masses say
Well it's up to me what I really want to be
And I'm still searching for the day
We got to fight we got to feel we got to know that this is real
If we're going to win this race
We gotta rise up open our eyes up."

Put these tracks on a playlist and you might find yourself feeling better about the world, the economy, the situation we are currently in. I know you folks out there have some favorite tunes, so PLEASE comment below!
Rise Above!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Screeching weasels - sunshine. Did it for me (and I f*n needed it!).

Anonymous said...

The Middle- Jimmy Eat World (it's about rising above faliure)

Unknown said...

Almost every f**kin street dogs song.

D I Y

Start where you are...
Use what you have...
Become the change that you want to see in the world.

Enough for Everyone's Need, Not for Everyone's Greed...

Live simply so that others may simply live.

Become the Media

Don't listen to the one-sided corporate-owned media. They are not in the business of finding the truth. They are only concerned about making money for themselves and their stock holders. If they do report the truth, it is only because it suits their business plan. A happy accident...
Become the media! Blog it, film it, record it...
You still have credibility... They don't.