Thursday, December 4, 2008

Green Day at Work on New Album


Green Day
Originally uploaded by Verlage Photo
After the Punk Pop Opera of "American Idiot", Green Day has set the bar high for their new album.  In a recent interview, Billy Joe gives us the lowdown on a variety of topics regarding the new disc.This recording is being produced by Butch Vig. Butch has been behind the board on many of the fabulous cd's of our times. Billy Joe describes Butch this way:
" I think he's just got a lot of integrity and a lot of class, and one of the things I really respect about Butch is that he doesn't just go for things that are going to be million-sellers, or something that's gonna be massive for the sake of being massive, or is gonna look flashy on his resume or something. He works with a lot of different kinds of bands, and it could be a platinum band, or it could be more of a garage band... he's got a long history of that. He's just a very hard-working, straightforward guy. So it's good. I just had a lot of respect for him going into this record, and I knew his history, and so it wasn't really a matter of having to prepare him with any specific ideas. We talked a lot, and it was more just a thing where I was like, "I want to make something that's the best thing we've ever done, and the bar is really high for us this time." And he was like, "Wow, this could be really daunting, but it's really exciting at the same time." Because he wants to make the record of his dreams, also, so I think it was just sort of a good fit all around. He wasn't trying to change our style or anything; he just was really getting into the process, and everyone was kind of just coming together and bouncing ideas off each other and just getting really in-depth with the arrangements and the lyrics and stuff like that."
"I'm pushing myself to be progressive in songwriting and being a songwriter. I come from a culture where I'm into great albums, and I still believe in that. I'm not saying I can go for it this hard every time--there might be times when I want to have something that's a little bit more spontaneous and off the cuff--but with this record, the feeling's been that you've got to just go for it." "I'm trying to allow more time for things to incubate. I think any time you make a record, you look back and say, "God, this is what I would've done differently," you know? If was to look back at like the songs that were on the Slappy EP, I probably would've wanted for those songs to be on Kerplunk, or if I was to look at the records that came after Dookie, I would've probably allowed myself more time with Insomniac and Nimrod. So I'm learning those lessons, but at the same time, that doesn't mean that's the only way I'm ever gonna do anything. The Foxboro Hot Tubs record we did this year was, like, fly by the seat of your pants and just go. But I am allowing time, allowing for the process to happen naturally without having to force it. And that is a painstaking process, let me tell you. It's miserable." 
Green Day is one band I have not seen on tour, but look forward to the new album and touring. American Idiot will be a tough act to follow, but it seems like the guys have their heads and hearts in the right place. As they grow older and wiser, and have more life experiences, their music has, and will continue to grow. Punk is not about age, it is about point of view.

No comments:

D I Y

Start where you are...
Use what you have...
Become the change that you want to see in the world.

Enough for Everyone's Need, Not for Everyone's Greed...

Live simply so that others may simply live.

Become the Media

Don't listen to the one-sided corporate-owned media. They are not in the business of finding the truth. They are only concerned about making money for themselves and their stock holders. If they do report the truth, it is only because it suits their business plan. A happy accident...
Become the media! Blog it, film it, record it...
You still have credibility... They don't.